Aug 12, 2008

Totally Tubular



The 80’s were a decade of “unique clothing” styles, synthesized music, and the golden age of video games. Being a child of the 80’s meant that your floor was littered with Transformers, GI Joe’s, and the occasional Ewok. Pac-Man Fever was running rampant and Strawberry Shortcake was spreading kindness. Punky Brewster ruled the air waves along with ALF from Melmak. Madonna was like a virgin, but Michael Jackson claimed the kid was not his son. MTV actually had music videos and we looked forward to seeing cutie Martha Quinn countdown the videos of the day. This was the time when Saturday morning cartoons actually meant something. Kids would sit with a bowl of cereal and watch T.V. until 10am before going to practice or lessons. This was the 80’s and in its own subtle way it was special.
Hollywood sees the 80’s a chance to reinvent the decade. Knight Rider will once again play this fall on NBC. Transformers was a huge theatrical success. GI Joe is on its way to theaters and Atari games can now be played via a joystick that connects directly to the television. Personally, I love(d) the shows and movies of the 1980’s. So, what will the time machine of Hollywood bring back to us?


Today’s Roar is dedicated to the 1980’s and the rumblings of bringing back some classics. I do not necessarily agree with reinventing the wheel, but I did enjoy certain things about the decade.
Things that were cool long ago…


5) V Mini-Series-The geniuses in Hollywood have a script in place to make a big budget movie. The series was one of my favorites and still ranks as one of the highest rated shows of all time.


Why I loved it?-It was cool as a kid to see Lizards harvesting humans, but as I got older, it was easy to see the allegory to Nazi Germany.


4) The Goonies-This was the adventure of all adventures. It involved riding bikes and searching for treasure. There is a script that is FINALLY in place to go ahead with a sequel or a reimaging. Some things are meant to be left untouched.


Why I loved it?-Imagination, Imagination, Imagination. I totally immersed myself into the role of the kids following the legend of Chester Copperpot. I still ride my bike and look for lost ships.


3)GI Joe-Let’s take GI Joe and put the movie into the hands of Mummy director, Stephen Sommers. This is a bad idea. I think the studio execs forgot that knowing is half the battle.


Why I loved it?-Swivel Grip, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and the anatomically advantaged Baroness. The cartoon was the same episode or storyline everyday, but I watched religously at 4pm. It was very cool to get my “by mail” Sgt. Slaughter.


2)Fantasy Movies-Legend, Labyrinth, and the Dark Crystal. There is a supposed sequel to the Dark Crystal and it seems to have been in production forever. Genddy Tartakovsky will direct, so hope remains for its 2009 release.


Why I loved it? Tim Curry as the Lord of Darkness still scares the crap out of me. The world of The Dark Crystal seemed existent back then. Henson’s world still has an impact and Gefflings might be real.

1)Classic Cinema-The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, ET, Back to the Future, The Terminator and on and on…


Why I loved it? These movies are classics. They have tried to duplicate the success of each of these films in some way or another over the years. Do remember Darth Vader’s admission to Luke, the FIRST time Elliot’s bike levitates with ET in his basket, Han thawing from carbonite, and Arnold saying, “I’ll be Back” before ramming a truck through the front door of the police station?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

GiJoe: The Movie is like an idea I've been waiting for my whole life. And they are going to absolutely butcher it. They can't base it on the campy TV show and waste all their budget on Special effects.

It needs to be as deep and character driven as the Christopher Nolan Batman movies. Take the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow origin story from the comics and weave it into a current day plot with the Cobra Commander bringing down terror on the USA like the Joker did to Gotham. Make it like a real war movie. There's enough characters to kill some off. And then thread in some dreadnoks and odes to the TV show as comic relief. Simply CC saying "You blundering imbecile" is enough for me. Oh and I'd add a little sexiness from the Baroness for Dan's sake.

Chris Hatton

Flying Fab Five said...

I'd like to see Tina Fey as th Baroness glasses and all...All kidding aside, They could've had an X-Men type of cast here. Sommers is the wrong guy for this.

Unknown said...

fear not. There will be a series of mini episodes of aniamted GI Joe that will be geared towards the adults that grew up with the 80s cartoon. It will be violent, there will be blood and death, and Snake-Eyes is still a badass. I've seen the little short that was shown at SDCC and it's the 80's cartoon all over again but this time they amp the violence and they don't have parachutes to save them

Onkel Chrispy said...

Goonies was great because it was about friendship and going on some fucking insane adventure. It had caves, the mob, a fucked up superhuman mutant, and buried treasure. it is one of the few films I can still watch, and feel like I did when I first saw it. However now, I shed a tear.

V was awesome and I went to school who was so obsessed with it he used to draw these intricate comics about it. He invited me over one day, and he made me play V all day. He would chew on rubber mice!

Anything Henson ever touched was gold. Period.

As for the new GIJoe movie and animated series. I could give a shit. Of course they will butcher it. But they butchered Transformers and I ended up enjoying that too. No television show or movie can come close to the epic adventures I had with my action figures when I was a kid. I refuse to let my childhood be raped by hollywood execs anymore. Just because the label says something is something, doesn't make it so. It may resemble what I once loved, but it's not quite the same, and it shouldn't be. That's what made that time so special. You get it. I get it. Our friends get it. That's fine with me.

Flying Fab Five said...

Chrispy,

Eating rubber mice...HEHEHEHE! Funny as hell

Onkel Chrispy said...

the kids name was robbie raub. he converted his michael jackson vest into a V vest...and he wore those cataract sunglasses. he made 'weapons' out of clay and household items like caulking guns. it was pretty amazing, albeit creepy. also, he was a huge macgyver fan and would quote it regularly.

Flying Fab Five said...

I am still laughing...What a great story man!

Powered By Blogger