Jul 9, 2007

Overrated, Overrated, Overrated!!!

This all started a week ago when I was watching couple of hugely popular films on television. As I watched, It had occurred that both of these films are the most overly hyped, overly acted and overly liked by the masses for reasons that are unknown to me. I have chosen five movies for this purpose that I believe are overrated. You will probably disagree wholeheartedly with my choices. Some of you may accuse me of smoking dope or doing other hallucingines. I am fine with that because the purpose of a "list" is always to spur on debate among the masses. It has always amazed me that people fall in love with certain movies. I have to admit some of my favorites are bad films by certain standards. Here is the list:

5)It's a Wonderful Life
Frank Capra does a "wonderful" job directing this mess of a movie. Jimmy Stewart is Jimmy Stewart of course. I have always liked this movie because it is associated with the holiday, but lets face it this guy wants to KILL himself. We as the audience have to be empathetic to his griping. He has a "wonderful" wife and beautiful children. Lets feel bad for poor Jimmy and wish him a Merry Christmas. Every time a bell rings another overbloated holiday movie is made a classic.

4) Gladiator
Hey, I am Russell Crowe and my movie won an Oscar. I have never gotten Gladiator as a great movie. Is it cool? Sure. The guy fights a lion/tiger that is cool enough for me. Russell Crowe is all of five feet four inches tall. It is hard for me to see him has this chisled bad ass even though in real life he likes to fight. Nice work in this movie by Richard Harris. Gladiator lacked realism for me. I think it was Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus who gave the Thumbs Down and so do I.

3) Scarface
I know, I know you all love this craptacular movie. This movie moves at the speed of mud. Pacino is great, but the movie is actually pretty terrible. It must have been difficult to write a movie with f**** in every quarter of a word. I think more young kids love this movie than adults and that is sad. I love Pacino and he will show up on tomorrow's list of underrated films, but for now Scarface is overrated. Say Hello to that you drug dealin' imbecile.

2)The Usual Suspects
This movie drives me absoulutley crazy. Let's have the audience believe one thing and spring it on them later that it was just the opposite. Seriously, Kevin Spacey is overrated as an actor with the exception of American Beauty which is a gem. The problem with "Suspects" is that you have to like it because the cast is so good. Whoa! Gabriel Byrne is in this, he was in Point of No Return, I have to like it because my manhood will be questioned. I still don't know the difference between Kaiser Roll and Keyser Soze.

1) Titanic
A million Oscars. Tons of money. A sinking ship. A love story. James Cameron. When I first saw this movie, I was amazed how tense people were, like they didn't know the ship was going to hit an iceberg. Billy Zane was impressive however. Jack and Rose was a love story for the ages especially when her virginty is taken and all we see is her hand on steamy glass. Titanic was tragedy not only as a real life event, but as a film. Terminator, Titanic..I am still baffled here Jimbo. I'd see Aquaman though especially if he swims to the Titanic.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger